B & B CONCRETE CO., INC. WAS FOUNDED IN THE FALL OF 1949 by Henry Brevard, Jr. and Riley Boozer, Henry’s father-in-law. The ready-mix concrete plant was located on Carnation Street in Tupelo, MS. B & B Concrete Co., Inc. operated the first concrete plant in North Mississippi between Jackson, Mississippi and Memphis, Tennessee. The initial fleet included two used trucks with two cubic yard mixers.
Customers soon found the convenience and economy of purchasing concrete for delivery via truck mixers directly to their jobsites. The labor intensive method of jobsite mixed concrete was replaced by transit-mixed concrete. The quality of product was improved with plant batching by exact weight, which replaced approximate volumetric measuring and mixing at the job site. Providing a superior quality product with dependable service continues today as a fundamental commitment to our customers.
The company’s successful growth and increased volume during the 1950’s required B & B Concrete Co., Inc. to identify a new larger Tupelo plant location. In 1960, a 20-acre site was purchased on Industrial Road and a new, modern plant was built. General concrete contracting was continued which included street, industrial, residential, and pool construction.
Increased production of precast concrete products, including concrete pipe, equipment pads, parking curbs, septic tanks, and cattle feed troughs occurred after the relocation to the Industrial Road site. The company opened a contractor’s supply store offering a full line of concrete contracting products, including reinforcing steel, wire mesh, hand tools and bagged goods.
In 1974, a new roller head concrete pipe machine was purchased and a plant was built. This production facility made 12″ – 72″ diameter pipe and expanded the manhole and precast concrete items. The pipe division supplies products to highway, commercial, and private projects across North Mississippi.
B & B Concrete Co., Inc. built three new concrete plants to serve the growing area surrounding Tupelo and Lee County. Plants in Okolona (1968), Pontotoc (1976), and Verona (1978) were opened.
During the 1980’s the company’s service area for ready-mix concrete expanded at a faster pace. New plant locations opened in Oxford (1982), Ripley (1986), Saltillo (1987), Holly Springs (1987), and New Albany (1989). Booneville and Corinth plants (1994) joined the B & B Concrete Co., Inc. system followed by Blue Springs (2008) and Fulton (2011).
With the addition of each new ready-mix plant location, B & B Concrete Co., Inc.has been committed to provide a growing customer base with the same superior product quality and delivery service that have been the hallmark of the company since its founding in 1949. B & B Concrete Co., Inc. currently operates twelve concrete plants with a truck fleet of 80 mixers, and B & B Concrete Co., Inc. employs approximately 120 valued staff members.