HISTORY

B & B Concrete Co., Inc. was founded in the fall of 1949 by Henry Brevard, Jr. and Riley Boozer, Henry’s father-in-law. The ready-mix concrete plant, located on Carnation Street in Tupelo, MS, was the first concrete plant in North Mississippi between Jackson, Mississippi and Memphis, Tennessee. The initial fleet included two used trucks each with two cubic yard mixers.

Customers soon found the convenience and economy of purchasing concrete for delivery via truck mixers directly to their job sites.  The labor-intensive method of jobsite mixed concrete was replaced by transit-mixed concrete.  The quality of product was improved with plant batching by exact weight, which replaced approximate volumetric measuring and mixing at the job site.  In addition to ready-mix concrete, B & B engaged in general concrete contracting, including street, industrial, residential and pool construction.

The company’s growth during the 1950’s required B & B to identify a new, larger Tupelo plant location.  In 1960, a 20-acre site was purchased on Industrial Road and a new, modern plant was built.

The company opened a contractor’s supply store offering a full line of concrete contracting products, including reinforcing steel, wire mesh, hand tools and bagged goods.

In 1974, a new roller head concrete pipe machine was purchased, and a plant was built.  This production facility made 12″ – 72″ diameter pipe.  Additionally, precast concrete products, including equipment pads, parking curbs, septic tanks, cattle feed troughs and manholes were produced. The pipe and precast division supplies products to highway, commercial, and private projects across North Mississippi.

Plants in Okolona (1968), Pontotoc (1976), and Verona (1978) were opened to serve the growing area surrounding Tupelo and Lee County.

The company opened a contractor’s supply store offering a full line of concrete contracting products, including reinforcing steel, wire mesh, hand tools and bagged goods.

In 1974, a new roller head concrete pipe machine was purchased, and a plant was built.  This production facility made 12″ – 72″ diameter pipe.  Additionally, precast concrete products, including equipment pads, parking curbs, septic tanks, cattle feed troughs and manholes were produced. The pipe and precast division supplies products to highway, commercial, and private projects across North Mississippi.

Plants in Okolona (1968), Pontotoc (1976), and Verona (1978) were opened to serve the growing area surrounding Tupelo and Lee County.

During the 1980’s the company’s service area for ready-mix concrete expanded at a faster pace.  New plant locations opened in Oxford (1982), Ripley (1986), Saltillo (1987), Holly Springs (1987), and New Albany (1989).  Booneville and Corinth plants (1994)  joined the B & B Concrete Co., Inc. system followed by Blue Springs (2008) and Fulton (2011). In 2008, the concrete contracting division was closed so that the business could focus its attention on ready-mix concrete, concrete-pipe, and precast concrete production.

In 2018, B & B constructed a new state-of-the-art ready-mix plant, office, and shop building in Oxford to accommodate the growth of Oxford and Lafayette County.

B & B Concrete Co., Inc. has been committed to provide a growing customer base with the same superior product quality and delivery service that have been the hallmark of the company since its founding in 1949.

“My first experience with B & B Concrete was around 1976. From that time, consistency of the people, their communication, and the quality of their products have been something you can take for granted when using B & B Concrete.”

Lee Talbot, Talbot Bros.